Friday, March 12, 2021

Multiple Subnets - Same Network Gear

I've always run into this issue. You have a physical network all connected but multiple subnets (ex 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.0) running all across the same hardware. Sure it works but I've always notice it acts quirky, mac address tables break, weird things happen. I'm very familiar with VLANs and I realize VLANs segregate those networks properly to fix issues. But what is it about sharing network hardware with multiple subnets that makes it act funny? Is it ARP Tables break? Or issues with switching? Every environment I've ever witnessed set up this way tends to have issues. I'm guessing since the invention of VLANs this setup is kind of frowned upon but most importantly I'm curious why - what makes it act so quirky??



No comments:

Post a Comment