Wednesday, March 3, 2021

[Mellanox] Configuring default gateway on a L3 Switch

This is my company's switch.

https://www.mellanox.com/related-docs/prod_eth_switches/PB_SN2700.pdf

I've been tasked with figuring out how to route between vlans using a network that's connected via the switch. As I understand, this is an L3 switch and it should be capable of routing on the hardware level and it's actually a pretty cool switch because it has multiple protocols and does this all using Linux commands that control the switching fabric.

However, that leaves me in the situation where I find it hard to google how to configure it. Mellanox's docs seem to refer to a different configuration. We're using native Linux.

I figured out how to do layer 2 stuff like create bridges. I gave the bridges IP addresses via Systemd-Networkd.

So bam! I have 5 bridges (that are similar to vlans), each bridge as an IP Address in the subnet of its layer 3 network, so the switch should do this routing for me, right?

Nope, I guess it's not that easy. I believe I need to use `ip route` to configure the routing tables. I need a default gateway. ipv4/ipv6 packet forwarding is already enable on the kernel level. I'm just not sure how to give it these static routes. However, I don't have to add static routes if using another protocol is easier, just not sure how to use the other routing protocols.

So to be more concise, I have 5 bridges with 5 subnets.

192.168.150.4/24 via ?

192.168.151.4/24 via ? < should be able access this guy from 150.4/24

192.168.152.4/24 via ? < should be able to access this guy from 150.4/24

192.168.153.4/24 via ?

192.168.154.4/24 via ?

This is an isolated network. There's no need for an outside connection. I want the L3 switch to be the router between vlans. I only want 3/5 vlans to talk to each other. The L3 switch is connected to every vlan and lies in the center of the network. This network is probably super simple to a network engineer.

Sorry, I'm just not a network engineer by trade, so I don't know what to do. I understand the basics of networks (like the 5 layer model). I've done socket programming. I understand generally how tcp/udp work. Subnetting. I'm more familiar with Linux at this point than Windows. However, designing and implementing a network topology is still a little out of my depth.



No comments:

Post a Comment