Thursday, March 4, 2021

Looking for a router and switch combination product with 4/5G failover

Hi,

We have an existing managed network with a router providing DHCP and WiFi. Currently I am running a small 8 port switch off that and need to add more wired devices. I would also like to implement 4G / 5G failover for one wired device and some QoS rules to priortise traffic from this device so I was thinking of putting a router in front of the managed router, and then creating a new subnet and providing WiFi from this router instead, as well as adding a switch with additional ports. I could then ask the company providing the managed router to turn off the WiFi on their router.

Does this sound like a reasonable way of doing things?

Is it too much to ask one product to do all of this? The only one I have found that looks suitable is the Mikrotik CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN

This has a micro USB socket, which I assume could be configured to use a USB 4G dongle with a micro USB to female USB type A cable?

I have some experience with RouterOS and it seems that QoS and failover are both supported.

I also want to mount the router/switch in a metal rack cabinet, so I am thinking of getting extension cables for the wireless antennas so that they can be placed outside the rack. Are there any issues with doing it this way?

Any advice appreciated



No comments:

Post a Comment