Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Is there a hardware that can run with a client to connect it to multiple APs?

This is a dumb question, I'm sorry. I was in IT 15 years ago, and switched to development. Thanks to Covid and being located in the middle of nowhere, finding IT people is very difficult. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, I'm just running out of options.

I have a large area covered by close to 100 APs. The network works fine and well for nearly everything - desktops, laptops, phones, etc - however we have some trucks that move around the area and need to maintain a remote desktop session. Given that, it's not wholly realistic to expend the budget for replacing the hardware with a mesh network, just for these 5 trucks. Google only talks about mesh networks. The networking company that we hired says our network is great, don't change anything, OR change everything to radio or mesh.

I've been out of the game long enough maybe I don't remember the name of a solution, or maybe it doesn't exist. So my question is: Is there a system I can build that has multiple wifi adapters, which are not allowed to connect to the same AP, which will then determine the best connection at any given moment, and deliver it to a port that the truck's user can connect to?

That is, on the truck have a piece of hardware that can round up three or four APs, create a local connection, and deliver it to a port or short range WiFi so that these guys don't have to wait for Windows to swap from one AP to another while driving around.

I'm happy to do the googling if there is some phrase that will help. Sorry this is dumb.



No comments:

Post a Comment