Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Is mapping out cable that you just pull worth it? If so whats a good software to use?

----------------------Intro/back story------------------- Hello, still new to my first networking position. Only networking guy in our community college. Why do I bring up this topic? Well you see the previous people before me ran cable across, over vents, pipes, you name it! Maybe this is normal? I don't know, im still new so maybe someone who has spent more time can let me know. However as I pull cable for new classrooms and fixing old worn out one I thought about making it easier for me and future Networking employees.

-----------------------The Point of my question---------------- I have been pulling cable, using velcro to keep it all together and using hooks against the walls above the ceiling (plenum space). I've labeled the wires at each end.

I have been wanting to use a software that lets me have a 2D view of a map that I would create where I can draw out some classrooms and show where the cables pass through, where they take turns and are anchored. It would be amazing if I could upload pictures where they have over certain areas of the map and a picture that I took showed up. If any one does this let me know what software you are using, im not looking for a topology mapping deal where it just shows what switch is connected to what. But something later on people can see where every cable runs through.



No comments:

Post a Comment