Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Is it possible to split an IP address to route two ways simultaneously?

Jr network engineer here so I apologize if I do a bad job explaining, but here's a situation I'm faced with.

I have Analog data stream that is converted into IP at a remote site and then sent over to my L3 switch which I have control over, at that said L3 switch I have two end devices that cannot talk to each other but both need to be able to access said data stream.

The remote proprietary device that converts the analog to IP has a router on a stick type feature that I set up on its port pointed back to the L3 switch, this allows the stream to be split, this is specifically pointed to virtual interfaces on two separate vlans and with this setup everything seems to be working fine while keeping the two end devices from communicating with each other.

Cut to, there is now a new additional stream that needs to be ingested by both end devices, however this time the remote device does not have a router on a stick type capability that I know of, I could set up two different static routes pointing to each device right? but then they couldn't view the stream simultaneously only one at a time and having to switch between the two depending on who needed to see it more. I could set them both up on the same vlan but then the two end devices will be able to talk to each other.

my question is it possible to route this data to both devices at the same time after it hits my network, in the first example i could do this because the remote end device had this capability and it was split to two ip address before hit my network, could i some how do this on a cisco piece of equipment?

say the end devices are 192.168.1.3 /24 and 172.16.1.3 /24 respectively and the remote stream is 192.169.1.3 /24 , is there a way to tell 192.169.1.3 as it comes into my network to go to both 192.168.1.3 and 172.16.1.3 at the same time?



No comments:

Post a Comment