Tuesday, March 23, 2021

IPv6 Addressing and Architecture references

Hey Networking!

I'm rolling out IPv6 to our Top of Rack switches for server deployment purposes at least initially and I want to utilize the built in auto-configuration capabilities of IPv6 as much as possible. My goal isn't to define a static IPv6 network per ToR switch nor mimic what an IPv4 deployment would look like. I'm looking to use Neighbor Discovery, Routing Advertisements and maybe stateless DHCPv6 and network boot strings. The dream is to have every single point-to-point link auto-configured with link-local addressing including to the server and to have all the host addressing decentralized until they have been enrolled into our environment with MaaS or something like that.

However while I can read RFCs:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8425

And there are plenty of intro-to-IPv6 articles out there, they all start from the assumption that IPv6 should be deployed exactly like IPv4 which ignores many of the capabilities and niceties that IPv6 has built in. They don't provide a good overview of what an IPv6 network should look like.

Basically I'm looking for an IPv6 deployment guide that assumes you want an IPv6 Fabric where hosts are able to fully configure themselves and have a routable IP without manual configuration of either the host itself, nor the switch the host is actually connected to. If manually setting the default gateway for the server or the ToR is part of the deployment, then we've already started off wrong.

Anyone have any experience or references doing something like what I've described? I have already setup a server (manually) where it uses BGP to advertise it's address into a BGP core, but I don't know how to scale that to make the server/ToR deployment automatic, that's the specific part I'm looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment