Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Fortigate Exporter for Prometheus

Hi folks,

I am a fan of Fortigate firewalls, I use them myself quite a bit. I am also a long term fan of Prometheus (a commonly used metrics database), and Grafana.

A few months back I created an exporter using the Fortigate API to enable people to monitor their Fortigate firewalls using Prometheus. You can find it here: https://github.com/bluecmd/fortigate_exporter.

This allows you to monitor your Fortigate over HTTPS, and everything in the chain is free and open-source. To me personally getting away from SNMP and MIBs is a huge win, which is one of the reasons I created this exporter in the first place.

There are some community-provided dashboards available to get started:

These days the number of contributors is growing and the features and metrics being added is steady. It is still early days for the exporter, a good time to advertise it a bit here so more people can give it a try. Maybe file issues, suggestions, or even try to add some missing metrics you'd like? :-).

Happy to take any questions!

[[This is a follow-up post from soliciting feedback from the Fortinet community, but I got recommended to post it to this community as well]]



No comments:

Post a Comment