Tuesday, March 9, 2021

DOCSIS/RF Pals - What causes modems to have low TX power in HFC plant?

We're having issues with upstream performance on one of our new nodes. We recently lit up a new fiber line and split a leg onto a separate launch amp. Upstream SNR is very poor, around 25dB. Modems on that node have low TX power, about 35dB. RX power is good, around 0dB.

Modem logs are filling with T3 timeouts, failed DHCP requests, and resets due to the poor upstream.

My initial reaction is the return path is running too hot and the modems are dropping their output to compensate. My line techs did a sweep of that leg and report that levels are good, and swear up and down there's no issues with the HFC plant. There's definitely an issue somewhere but I don't have the expertise to speculate what it could be. There was a power issue with the launch amp when we first switched over, but I trust my RF team and they're reporting that the node is good and running correctly. I'm at a loss here.



No comments:

Post a Comment