Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Anything Beyond Seven Drops won't connect

Hey Networking,

This may be completely obvious to some of you but I do not have a background in networking and I work for a small government team of 3 with no networking guys. I have a branch office that has a Cisco SF300-24P managed switch that is connected directly to their ISP's (Viastat) Exceed modem. Whenever they have 7 drops or more connected no one else can join the network. To get anyone new on we have to unplug everyone and start from scratch. I logged into the router and reset it to factory settings and then updated the firmware but it was the same thing after my efforts. I called their ISP to see if I could log into the modem or if they have some weird rules set up to only allow a certain amount of connections. They have a 3 public IP limit and will not allow me to log into the router and said only their network engineers have that privilege. I have ordered a new identical switch as there were recently some severe storms where they were and were not on battery back up. I went over every setting on the switch but saw nothing to indicate a port limit of some type.

Am I missing anything here I can check on? Do you think it is a setting or the switch has gone bad? Do you think the small-town ISP is the problem? Thanks in adavnce.



No comments:

Post a Comment