Thursday, March 18, 2021

Advice for first time network deployment!

Hello r/networking peeps!

I am fresh Systems Engineer grad, and I am planning to deploy a small-ish network for the company I work for. This is my first proper project outside of labs and schoolwork. I am not the most proficient in networking and I highly specialize in programming/software engineering, hence why I would like to ask for some advice! I have only been trained in Cisco and Mikrotik...

The building is relatively old and was formerly occupied by a non-for-profit organization. This organization had left the building mostly intact and there are pre-existing cable (looks like cat5e? but have not tested thoroughly). There is a data cabinet that contains 2 patch panels? and 1 NEC switch. Here is a link to the images I took of it:

https://imgur.com/a/hjvZ9DS

The network will be relatively small. Here is quick a rundown:

  • 2-3 Desktops (Wired)
  • 2-3 VoIp Phones
  • 10-30 approx. Laptops
  • 1 Printer/Copier/Scanner (enterprise type)
  • Random Mobile devices

Time allotted is 8 working days. Budget is all up in the air but the Boss is happy to spend on equipment that is necessary but manpower is not gonna be available (I might work with an electrician but it will mostly be me). What I want is a lean and mean approach. Something that I only ever need to configure once and I can just leave it be. Reason being is I am the only IT personnel and the buildings are located hours and hours apart from one another. I have to maintain much of it from the Central building and I do not want to drive all the way just to check up on the network every single time. Besides, I am also creating software singlehandedly for the company. I barely have enough time as it is.

My plan is to:

  • Replace the Patch Panel with a new one. Any advice regarding this? Model/brand? Approach?
  • Replace the cabling to Cat6 but... time is tricky and it will not be physically possible according to other networking peeps I have asked around. So realistically, will be using the existing cabling. Any advice on this approach?
  • Replace the current switch to something more current or industry standard... like a Cisco Switch. Any advice on a model I should use?

My Network Topology Plans:

  • I have a network topology and here is a link of what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/XUnsizW

So, the ISP modem will be in Bridged mode -> Connecting to possibly a Cisco/Billion Router with it's own Firewall? (DHCP will come from here but I do not know if DNS should be setup on this router or the ISP modem)? This router will connect to the switch and the Access Points (will be using Ubiquiti Access Points to handle all that traffic).

Anyway... pardon the long post. I would really appreciate any kind of feedback or advice. Thank you all and have a nice day!



No comments:

Post a Comment