Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Yet another coffee shop network

I'm setting up a small network for my business running from the same space as my coffee shop. My business network includes my office space area (pcs, printers, some iot devices) and my public network will allow internet access to my coffee shop guests (captive portal, vouchers to log-in).

There's also another portion of the network to handle an AdGuard/pihole DNS server, a NAS, CCTV system and POS terminals.

A high level diagram is here: https://imgur.com/a/gkEU94o


I have some basic understanding of how subnets and VLANs may operate to help me, but i wonder if I would need a dedicated hardware to help me out with this situation. I often see people recommending Mikrotik, Ubiquity, Cisco devices for similar scenarios, but i don't understand what is the key factor or benefit that such devices offer.

A rapsberry pi, some subnetting and a dd-wrt access point may do the job, but am i missing something?



No comments:

Post a Comment