Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Understanding Multicast

I have a camera and I have been told that it does not support Multicast Streaming. What makes the difference whether a camera supports multicast streaming or not?

My understanding so far is that the source streams to a Multicast address on switch and the switch does the duplication of the data to the different recipients. What stops any device to stream to the multicast address?

I understand that in Unicast the Dst-MAC is determined through ARP. I would imagine that in multicast it would work the same way.

Camera streams to Multicast IP-Address -> Switch responds to ARP -> Camera streams with correct Ethernet Header to switch -> clients can hop into the stream using a Multicast-address?
Is that not the case?



No comments:

Post a Comment