Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Optimizing Network for Transfer Speed

I have a customer's very small network I've been tasked to optimize and I've been kind of running into a wall with that and wanted to get some outside input. There's about 10 workstations, 2 servers, two switches, and a security appliance acting as our router and security. AFAIK, the switches are trucked so they don't have to go through the ASA. It is a pure Cisco environment and everything was purchased within the last 3 years. I can get models if it's necessary.

There is a lot of data being transferred between servers and work stations. The workstations are the ones that are used to extract these large sets of data and upload them onto the server where they can be viewed/manipulated. We're talking about 500GB to 5 TB size transfers ranging in 500 files to 200,000 files over the network between this server and work stations. It's definitely a mixed bag. When more than one work station is uploading to the server, the users are complaining of slow transfer speeds but when I attempted to test this I was getting somewhere in the 888-904mbps (111-113 MB/s) when two work stations were transferring. I thought this was acceptable, but I've been advised the customer want to get as much throughput as possible. As close to 1Gbps (125 MB/s) as I can.

I've considered everything from QOS prioritizing the specific ports that windows uses to transfer data (if I'm understanding and can even do that with QOS) to link aggregation of some kind, to even enabling jumbo frames between the workstation interfaces and server interfaces but I'm worried that would cause more problems than it would solve. What would you guys do in my situation? I appreciate the input a lot, thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment