Thursday, February 4, 2021

Netgear vs HP - Costing up 10x switches for a total infrastructure refresh.

Hi

Currently running a network on dumb switches, wanting to move to managed for ACL/VLAN control etc.

I've always been a Netgear user, but our supplier is bullish on HP and has some really good pricing apparently, so I want to explore all options.

If I were going pure Netgear, I'd be looking at the following: 7x NETGEAR GS752TPv2 380W 1x NETGEAR GS728TPv2 190W 1x NETGEAR GSM7248P 308W

The GSM7248P would be our core switch, handling all the inter-vlan routing, DHCP relay etc, the rest handling their own VLANs & providing power to every port.

In terms of the HP switches, I've costed up the Fully Managed equivalents, and obviously they're much more costly... but I'm not sure if I NEED the Fully Managed option, as the Netgears are Smart Managed.

Are the HP Smart Managed switches just as versatile in terms of VLANning, Inter-VLAN routing, DHCP helper, ACL's, RADIUS etc? I have no need for console/SSH access and our only L3 switch needs to be the core switch.

I realise this is a bit wishy-washy, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment