Saturday, February 13, 2021

How to build your own video focused website infrastructure?

I have a video website I want to deploy as a startup. If possible, I would like to build out my own infrastructure and rely less on third-party companies like AWS, digital ocean, vimeo for video hosting and would rather host them myself. These third parties also have strict ToS and less reliance on them would be ideal.

I saw that companies like https://sibyl.li/ advertise unlimited bandwidth. Does this mean that if I pay for dedicated web servers with them, I could use the server storage offered to host the videos without needing to buy a vimeo membership? Does unlimited bandwidth mean free bandwidth?

What is the difference between bandwidth vs data transfer and the cost differences?

I imagine there would most likely be performance issues if I store the videos on the same server as my code. So multiple dedicated servers would probably be needed for load balancing? How would I resolve the performance issues?

What hardware does everyone recommend nowadays for starting out with your own infrastructure? Should I order servers online to be delivered to me and set them up in a data center near me or use dedicated servers that another company manages offshore but the linux OS I have control over?

If possible, I would like to be as cost efficient as possible. But if paying more is needed for less reliance on these third parties, I am for it. I would like to get an idea of how much I would have to pay monthly for some of these things. Data center costs, bandwidth costs, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment