Thursday, February 18, 2021

connecting communal buildings via fiber, shared internet

Today I was asked if I could help in setting up shared internet access for various communal buildings in a small town near from me.

They have some schools and the offices of the local community etc ... And they already have fiber all around, nice ;-)

So I think of creating some star topology to connect all the "satellites" to one point where I would place the main router. Plugging some Bidi-Modules into their switches and establish a (V)LAN for their new gateway to internet.

Sure, that is very simple and not redundant etc ... I only start to develop ideas.

Do you guys have any pointers to HOWTOs, best practices or so for stuff like that?

I know my way around switching and routing so far, I just wonder what to consider when building a network of some larger scale. Kind of a provider-network, right?

Addition: for now they only want to set up some central internet gateway. No cross-connections so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment