Friday, February 5, 2021

Confusion about MPO/MTP Breakout

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused if this setup will work. Setup is quite messy, unfortunately I was only involved in any of the planning at the very end. Customer has two DCs connected via MMF-OM5 over 250m with LC-patchpanels. We need to get 40G of a pair of nexus 9300 from DC1 to a pair of catalyst 3850 switches in DC2. The Catalyst-40G-modules do not support any LC-transceiver that can get 40G over 250m. So my idea was using MPO-transceiver and breakout cables to the LC-patchpanels, splitting the connection over 4x 10G, which should no problem over 250m:

Nexus[MPO] <---> [4xLC]Patchpanel <---OM5-over-250m--->Patchpanel[4xLC] <---> [MPO]Catalyst

Now I though this would be a common use case but I cannot find any other design doing it that way, up to the point where I question if it is even possible. Can some verify the setup?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment