Friday, February 19, 2021

Aruba switch - can a VLAN be both tagged and untagged on one port?

I think this is a sort of unconventional configuration but I got used to doing it on Ubiquiti switches. Is there a way to configure say VLAN 5 so that untagged traffic going into the switchport goes to VLAN 5, and traffic tagged VLAN 5 is accepted also?

I guess I would just basically use it as a way of getting connectivity to a connected switch (switch B, let's say), both when switch B has the default config (pulls a DHCP lease on native VLAN) and when switch B is configured (pulls a DHCP lease on management VLAN). Yes, for consistency I want to have all VLANs tagged on the uplink/downlink ports, NOT having the management VLAN untagged.

An interesting thought though, is I wonder what those Ubiquiti switches did when asked to send VLAN 5 traffic out on that port? Send it untagged AND tagged? Now I am doubting whether this actually work the way I am remembering it...it was a couple years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment