Tuesday, January 12, 2021

What is considered a good foundation in networking knowledge?

I recently had a meeting at my job where my boss, his peers and their boss asked about future plans and how they can help us grow in the company and achieve our goals even if it's not with the company. I told them I was in school for networking but still had a ways to go before completing that. They let me know that they will eventually need more people in their IT department and as long as I have a good foundation to bring to the table they'd be willing to invest in me when that time comes.

Thing is, I don't think I want to get a degree. I hate school and I only took a class to get some understanding before studying for some certifications... But this is a really good opportunity for me to stick my foot in the IT door with a company I like and to gain that experience without school that I can take anywhere. However I also know more than a few people who work with me and either have minors or certifications already, who were also waiting for IT positions to open up...

What can I study or what certifications can I take that will give me and prove that I have that basic knowledge and foundation they're looking for? I already have the most recent ccna test books, did a little studying on cbt nuggets, and took an intro into networking class. I'll probably need my network+ but idk... I think my advantage above the others seeking IT positions is that I am already a part of leadership and they think that I do a good job. I just don't know where to start for that foundation without school... I think that it's rare a company actually cares and invests in their team like this, so I want to take advantage of the opportunity.



No comments:

Post a Comment