Tuesday, January 12, 2021

SMTP stateless or stateful

I'm currently wondering if SMTP is considered a stateless or a stateful protocol. I've found conflicting answers online. Most were saying that it's stateless though. Personally, I was inclined to believe it's a sateful protocol, atleast in the scope of one session. Because you first authenticate and then get an acknowledge back. Afterwards, it goes back and forth for a bit before the message is sent. In that case I'd image that the server needs to somehow track the session details making it a stateful protocol. I'm really curious which it is and I'd love to have an explanation for it since the online sources I've found just mentioned it as either stateful or stateless without really going into detail why.



No comments:

Post a Comment