Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Question About Hard Resetting Modem w/Ubiquiti Access points on Office Network

First off, please delete if not allowed, but this is a question about our office network.

I have been in charge of our company's basic IT/Helpdesk duties for about a year, and I've been asked to do some work on our network in the vein of blacklisting timewasting sites etc. I have very basic networking knowledge, and have only ever worked on my home network prior to this (I have a PiHole on my home network and have set up SMB shares in the past, so i understand the basic terminology).

The office has an arris dg1670a modem, and Ubiquity access points. It seems to be a fairly simple network setup from what I can tell. We do not have any servers, and the only clients on the network are standard desktop users over ethernet and wifi for mobile devices. I cannot access the admin settings of the router, as the previous IT Director set up a different password and never told anyone. I know how to hard reset the router to reset it to the original credentials, and plan to do this soon. I understand that the Ubiquiti access points also serve a similar function to a wireless router.

My questions are as follows:

  1. If I am only hard resetting the modem, and the APs are wired to our switch by ethernet, will the APs continue to function as normal? Or is there something different about the setup and connection process that I will need to enable in the router settings?
  2. Being that I've never performed a reset like this on a network this large, are there any other settings i should make sure to review or enable/disable to make sure the network is optimized?

The network seems very simple and straightforward to me, but I wanted to bounce these questions off of folks with more experience. Screwing this up would obviously not look good for me so any help is appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment