Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Opinion on interview format for junior Netops/Linux hires

Hi folks,

I'm hiring a couple people in my team for a 2-4 yr experience netops/linux role. I wanted to flesh out their ability to think rather than memorize (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35UumfZ-H4) I'm looking for feedback on a new format I wanted to try:

The ask for the candidates who will be to document (diagram and build sheet with commands) for, lets say, ansible, rundeck, and nginx to return a value from a switch/firewall/router. They would take this home for homework to present at the technical interview. During the 2 hour technical interview they would validate their work by building the systems using their documentation. The discussion would be around how they could improve the systems, through security/redundancy/virtualization. I'm looking to see how well they understand the systems, and how they react to suggestions/mistakes. I want to see examples of their work and how much effort they're willing to put in.

My boss is concerned that people will "cheat" by getting help on the work, but I think this will be easy to detect during the discussion. He suggests that we get them to build the system live without any foreknowledge, but they are allowed to use the internet or ask questions for help.

What are your thoughts, or what worked well for you? And just a point that 80% of our day to day work in the network infrastructure team is actually working with linux based operational support systems.



No comments:

Post a Comment