Saturday, January 30, 2021

Incorporating tv and broadband from the same connection into pfsense.

Hello.

I just changed to an ISP that supplies both TV and broadband over the same fiber connection. This requires me to have the SFP module and fiber they supplied connected to their home central. This can be put into bridge mode, where I can only use lan port 4 for internet, and port 1-3 for connecting to the Set-top boxes. They also only give internet access to the mac address of the provided home central. Problem is, the home central sticks out like a sore thumb in my otherwise clean networking rack, and I want to get rid of it if possible. Provided its removal won't cause a bunch of problems.

I currently have this set up like described above, with port 4 connected to my pfSense whitebox. If I want to connect the SFP module and fiber directly into my pfsense box.

I assume the first obstacle would be the mac address, which from my understanding can be spoofed with a varying degree of success depending on the countermeasures the ISP uses (or not). Examples of these countermeasures would be Reverse ARP, traffic analyzers, and bandwidth monitors.

The second obstacle would be the separation of traffic from broadband and tv. Unless this is utilizing VLAN's I am clueless here.

Question 1: What options does the ISP have to Achieve the separation of broadband and tv on their home central? VLAN? Something else? If not a VLAN, is it obtainable using pfsense.

Question 2: Has anyone tried something similar, and how well did it work?



No comments:

Post a Comment