Thursday, January 14, 2021

Help with 802.1q and Vlan ID 0

So I have a device that transmits untagged and tagged frames. It's using 802.1q to add 802.1p PCP for class of service stuff on some of those frames. However it's using the Vlan ID of 0 when doing this. The end goal is to propagate all traffic(tagged and untagged) from all the devices on the switch through a set of ethernet radios to another switch. I'd like to retain the 802.1q header till it reaches the far switch. Topo is like

Device---ExtremeSwitchA--EthernetRadioA---EthernetRadioB---SwitchB(possible Aruba or Extreme).

In most of the trunking configs I have to explicitly state what VLAN ID I'm permitting across the trunk. ID 0 is not an option. However I've read that when switches receive a vlan ID of 0 in a 802.1q header they retag the header with the native VLAN ID i.e. which is the VLAN the trunk port is in.

I'm hoping to set up all the Vlans to an ID of 1 (for testing) enable trunking between the device the switches and the ethernet radios and see what happens. I can set up a hybrid trunk port that takes tagged and untagged packets

Has anyone had experience with trunking with VLAN ID of 0



No comments:

Post a Comment