Friday, January 29, 2021

Extending SD-WAN Fabric into Multi Cloud - Design and Throughput Limitation Concern.

Just curious if anyone here has yet extended their SD-WAN fabric into the clouds? I am looking at doing this with Cisco Viptela, the company I work for is a large international org with locations across the globe. All of our locations will soon be on Viptela.

We do not do much in terms of workloads in the cloud yet but we do have devs chomping at the bit to start moving some workloads into both AWS and Azure.

The idea of putting some virtual v-edge's in a central "hub" network account and then using native cloud networking to connect to a multi account (VPC/VNET) infrastructure is appealing to me to help minimize the overhead of manually managing IPsec tunnels and BGP but I am very concerned about throughput limitations, from what I have seen so far of the licensing limitations of virtual v-edge's the max throughput of one of these devices is 100Mbps.

I can put several v-edge's in this "hub" account and distribute load across them but even then to get a full 1Gbps throughput I am going to need 10 if the max throughput is 100Mbps which will dramatically impact the cost factor.

Anyone doing this yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment