Friday, January 8, 2021

Enterprise Networking Career Change ( Is it a good call for me?)

Let me know if this isn't allowed.

Residential

I work for a Fixed Wireless ISP (West Texas). I install and program Subscriber Modules, Dish's, and Routers(All Cambium Equipment) I also install all sorts of mounts for said Dish's, Ground Blocks, and run CAT5E cabling. I troubleshoot and diagnose issues on service calls, and replace any faulty equipment or fix any programming errors.

Networking

I also sometimes have to fix programming issues on our Tower Mounted Access Points, and Backhauls. I also climb the towers and diagnose issues/replace LMR jumpers, equipment, BCG's. I also troubleshoot our ground level tower equipment including but not limited to UPS(SMX-1000), PDU, Cisco 3560G Series Switch's, CTM's(CTM-2M), P-NET Card Racks.

I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for me to start working towards networking on my own over the next year or so. I'm not going to college because I'm 29 and can't take that much time off. I currently make 55K a year and will probably continue to get raises. Would it be beneficial for me to start working towards getting A+, Network+, CWNA, and CCNA? I really enjoy both sides the Field Technician and the Networking, so it doesn't really come down to what I like more. It comes down to in the long run is what I'm doing going to be beneficial in 10+ years or should I move into Networking. Also could I get a good enough job to support my family Networking without a degree? Any kind of career advice in general would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any friends or family that I can ask about this sort of thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment