Saturday, January 30, 2021

Does the download speed that an ISP advertises affect the local network?

My current enterprise internet plan is 500 mbps for download and 40 mbps for upload. My previous plan was 50 download and 50 upload. In my previous space, the wireless connection between devices would frequently drop.

Since my current plan has higher bandwidth for download, would there be less interference and would there be a more stable connection between my devices?

In other words, does the download bandwidth account for the bandwidth needed for wireless connections between my devices within the network (i.e., between my devices and the router), or does it only account for the bandwidth of information flowing from the Internet/ISP through my router (and then to my devices)?

I'm thinking the plan only affects the connection between the ISP and the router/modem, so I'm wondering how I can improve the connections within my local network. The drops between wireless computers and printers can be quite counterproductive for our operations.

Edit: Please let me know if this would be better posted in r/homenetworking I created a post there as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment