Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Azure S2S (Route Based) to Cisco ASA VTI - strange network behavior

New to Azure, and have a S2S connection from Azure to our on-prem networks using a Cisco ASA 5508-x running 9.8.4(17). Azure and ASA show the tunnel up and active, but having weird traffic issues.

I can ping from an Azure VM to on-prem server, and the Azure VM successfully uses the on-prem DNS. But I cannot domain join the azure VM/connect to an on-prem share or open an on-prem webpage. Additionally, I cannot ping from on-prem to the Azure VM.

Windows firewalls are turned off on both servers for testing, and it appears the Network Security Group rules and Azure FW should permit.

Packet captures on the two servers show the initial TCP handsshake packet sent, but then retransmits the [PSH,ACK] and [SYN,ACK,ECN] packets until the TCP RST is sent.

I'm at a loss what to check, as all documentation shows this should work, and it kinda does, so I'm thinking there may be something misconfigured on the Azure side, but don't know what else to check.

Thanks for any hints or tips. I can provide more detail if needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment