Saturday, January 30, 2021

Assistance with BGP Peering to AWS VPC

Hi all,

I am in the middle of trying to workout why I am unable to peer with my AWS VPC using dynamic routing. If I configure the Site-site with static it works fine.

Current environment:

  • ISP modem in bridged mode (PPOE connection)
  • PFsense used as the firewall / gateway, connected to the bridged ISP modem
  • FRR used for BGP
  • IPsec tunnel configured to AWS with Phase 2 using Routed VTI
  • Interface has been assigned for IPsec VTI
  • AWS reports IPsec as being up
  • Created an IP alias on the WAN interface for my inside customer gateway address
  • Used the above as the update source for BGP
  • Peering never comes up, packet captures on the interfaces show no BGP connect messages leaving the PFsense, however I can see inbound from AWS on the IPsec VTI interface

I am kind of stuck here as to what to do, I thought it may be firewall and the WAN auto rule blocking bogon networks from RFC1918, so disabled that. Still no good.

I am not sure if this needs to be set up differently for a PPOE connection, where the WAN interface has an address through a peer?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment