Friday, January 22, 2021

Asking the right questions

So they left me in charge of the technical part of the interviews for the first time and I need help with some questions. The HR selected and weeded out the candidates and this is the second interview phase. I have some specific questions to do with the environment we are currently in but what should a CCIE certified candidate already know that I can ask them.

I have stumped a candidate before with a layer 1 question before which goes liked this: The server team has configured and replaced a faulty server, the network team even replaced the network cable for the new server but the network is not working. What should you check to resolve the issue?

Not sure if it's my phrasing of the questions but this happened irl, the cable wasn't crimped properly. The candidate was talking about the configuration of the server disabling and enabling network cards. He skipped the glaring clue in my question about the cable being changed and didn't even talk about the switch at all. I also kept repeating that the server is configured properly. All my questions revolve around real issues that happened to us before.

I am going to have to submit my questions to my boss before the interviews start, if you can help me out or just some advice. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment