Friday, January 1, 2021

10Gb SAN upgrade - Thinkiny way through ot

I've got a rack with a SAN currently running, 2 shelves with drives that are DAS attached to a server for the head. That server runs FreeNAS with iSCSI going out 2 NICs, 1 to each switch on my stack, and each ESXi host has 2 NICs for iSCSI that go into each of the two switched in the stack.

I'm looking to upgrade this part of my network to 10 GB and need help deciding what's a better option. Budget isn't firm but cheapest isn't the only way for this to go. At first, I found the MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+in with 4 SFP+ ports and figured I could use 2, one for each segment. Then I don't need to worry about VLAN config, ensuring enough resources to the iSCSI via QoS, and other issues with running iSCSI on the main switch stack.

Them I noticed that I could grab a Ubiquiti ES-16-XG for around the same price. It has 12 SFP+ ports and 4 x 10GBase-T ports. I figured I could go with this option as well and end still split up the ports to their own subnet/VLAN for the iSCSI to keep two but end up with more ports for expansion on the future.

Are there other sides to this that I'm not seeing? Anyone have experience running iSCSI on either model and can give input? Am I not even looking at the right hardware?

I can't afford HP/Cisco/Dell 10 G but MikroTik or Ubiquiti are within my price range.

Currently the build is at $1400 CAD and that's with the MikroTik. Price difference to the Ubiquiti is around $100 more, so not enough to think about it being an issue.

Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment