Thursday, December 24, 2020

Will Traffic Shaping Rules Still Apply If Switch Is Doing L3 Instead of Firewall?

I assume yes because it still has to go through the firewall before reaching the internet?

I.E: if I set one internal VLAN and bandwidth limit it to 3072KB/s. All outgoing traffic to the internet will be limited to that speed but if I want to bandwidth limit it internally, it has to be done on the switch?

Same with if I setup a rule of limited "All Video & Music" to 2Mbps. Since the packets for say youtube will are coming and and leaving out through the firewall at one point, it'll still be able to bandwidth limit it to 2Mbps?

Setup is:

ISP Modem in bridge modem -> MX100 -> L3 Switch (Aruba 3810M) which is doing the routing

MX100 has all the VLANs on the L3 switch defined has static routes pointing to the L3 switch. On the Aruba switch, the default gate is set to the MX100



No comments:

Post a Comment