Thursday, December 3, 2020

Setting up the net in the digital classroom of a school.

Hi there. I was handed the task of wiring the brand new computing classroom of an elementary school while the kids are away due the pendemic, mostly becasue I am the only known person to them that knows the difference between wifi and carrier data. They are going to get 30 computers (31 counting the teacher's one) and want them all hooked up to the school's internet connection.

Right now the school only has the ISP-provided Nokia 7368 ISAM ONT G-240W-B router. Accodring to the principal we can negotiate more bandwith with the ISP if the case calls it. Because the school does not need anything fancy (and limited budget), my idea is to bring an ethernet cable from that up to the computers classroom into an unmanaged 48-port network switch, like the TP-LINK SG1048.

I am also considering adding school-wide wifi support. Because, again, the school does not need anything fancy and expensive, I found in a local electronics brand this Steren COM-8200 2.4GHz repeater. Becasue it has a 19 meter range (at least according to the page) I found using the building blueprints that only 4 can cover the entire area. I was thingking to use one of the free remaining ports on the switch to give data to the first repeater, and then daisy-chain the rest, but I'm also considering hoking the first onw wirelessly to the modem.

Here is a quick diagram of what I'm planning to do. let me know what do you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment