Monday, December 28, 2020

Much slower than expected remote server WAN speeds (UK <---> Canada)

My server in Canada has 100 Mbps line-speed.

I live in the UK and my internet connection is around 60/20 Mbps (down/up)

From the server I have verified that my practical line-speed is more around 95 Mbps.

If I run iperf (as server or client) between my PC and the server however, I consistently get speeds of around 4 Mbps.

If I run iperf in parallel mode -P 5 (5 parallel connections), it's more around 10/11 Mbps

I've tried some iperf tests with specific servers that my provider gave me:

From my PC to their france-based test server (iperf.ovh.net) I got 11 Mbps

From my PC to their canada-based test server (bhs.proof.ovh.net) I got 9 Mbps.

From my server to their france-based test server (iperf.ovh.net) I got 88.6 Mbps

From my server to heir canada-based test server (bhs.proof.ovh.net) I got 94 Mbps.

Why are the speeds I'm getting from my PC so low?



No comments:

Post a Comment