Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Layer 3 to Layer 2 switch with VLANS?

Hey all. Buying a new home and want to drastically upgrade my networking setup.

I also want to VLAN my Cameras, Home Assistant/IoT setup, and have private networks for work, home, and guests.

My main office will hold the stack with the layer 3 switch. I’ll run a long patch cable to the other side of the house into a Layer 2. Will this work or will I need to have two Layer 3 switches? Are there any smaller than 24 PoE+ L3 managed switches?

Full setup idea: 2500 sq ft single story, wood framed. Cat6 for PoE+

Main office: - Ubiquiti USG into L3 PoE+ - This side will run 1-2 inside AC AP pros, 2-3 exterior AC AP pros, and 4-5 4K PoE Amcrest cameras. (Any switch recommendations for this would be great as the other side of the house is almost mirrored hardware wise)

Long run of Cat6 (less than 300ft) across the house to another PoE+ switch in my master bedroom closet.

Master Switch: - 1-2 inside AC AP pros, 2-3 outside AC AP pros, and another 4-5 4K Amcrest cameras.

*** I was thinking of stopping the long Cat6 run in the middle of the house (front door foyer), to have a middle switch for front door cameras and another AP AC pro to balance out the WiFi.

I live on 1.25 acres so I’m trying to do a few long runs outside with conduit to keep WiFi across my property but also have a few PoE cameras closer to my driveway entrance, inside my detached garage, over my pool/pond.

If you’ve read this far, I’m relatively new to all of this and am looking for insight to make sure my research is paying off.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment