Saturday, December 12, 2020

Is it hard getting resumes past bots these days?

TL/DR I'm not really sure if I'm venting it asking if everyone is having issues moving on to new opportunities these days. Anyway...

I've had some issues getting call backs on my resume, to the point I've even done the resume "help" thing from LinkedIn. I've had it reviewed by peers as well as professionals, of which no one seems to agree. On person says never do that, while another says always do it.

Either way, it seems pretty crazy to get a rejection letter for a job your way overqualified for (I'm looking at you Starlink). I've never had issues with job performance, or with office interpersonal interactions and such. To be fair, I'm not actively looking for a new job currently, not in this economic environment anyway. Not that I would reject a nice offer to sweet gig.

But we do want to be prepared to move on to a new state in 2 - 3 years, which means I'll need a new job. And typical me I want to start preparing now. So I've been submitting my resume around to get a feel for the pickup rate and keep the interviewing skills sharp. So far my pickup rate has been abysmally low, like 5-10%. Of the two interviews I did do, I immediately responded to one with "I don't think I would be a good fit for this organization". The other I would have likely moved forward with, but they decided to not move forward with the position. So either COVID killed it, or I wasn't strong enough in the interview process.



No comments:

Post a Comment