Monday, December 21, 2020

I want to learn Fortigate. Would a used unit function without licensing/support?

Coming from a large deployment of SonicWalls, I want to learn Fortigate. After reading a ton of posts here, it really seems like the best bang for my buck for a NGFW. The best way for me to learn is hands on. I'd like to dive in and replace my router at home with a used Fortigate from eBay.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you kind folks can help me with:

  1. What would be a good model to start with? There's a FG-60D-POE on eBay for cheap. Would that be good?

  2. I will not be purchasing support or security bundles. In the SonicWall world, that means the security features (gateway A/V, anti-spyware, IPS) are disabled, but everything else works. Is that the case with Fortigates as well?

  3. Feature-wise, all SonicWall models do the same thing and have the same feature set. The different models just support more throughput the higher up you go. Is that the case with Fortigate as well?

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment