Tuesday, December 8, 2020

How are y'all automating your network? Spare some ideas for someone newer to field?

This is a topic I've read on few posts and results seem to vary. Where I work currently the automation for networking, least within NOC is essentially we have one higher level analyst who has computer science background and builds scripts via "Expect" language which is based around TCL and I guess bash to some extent.

These scripts placed onto the jumpbox (RHEL) and we run them by for example "config 1234" 1234 being the location number. Then the script kicks off depending on what its intentions are checking ports, config something, ping a device etc.

I have been trying really hard to pick it up but I am god awful at scripting/coding I just do not grasp the "under the hood" pieces or constantly hitting roadblocks. Every time I start putting even a simple script together I hit a roadblock trying manipulate a variable or regexp... And its back to google and stack overflow.

More recently I am completely frustrated, clearly the guy (the only guy really) who makes these scripts -knows coding. Me, not really at all heck I only got my CCNA a bit over year ago (now older ICND1/2).

Yea, I don't know how to approach automating tasks or building scripts I feel like past months have been a sinkhole of time and effort. Where as compared to putting that same time and effort into networking aspects I feel like I actually make legit progress.

Any ideas here? Should I go down to caveman and barney levels here to really grasp scripting/coding? If so what resources do you recommend?



No comments:

Post a Comment