Wednesday, December 2, 2020

How am I getting 520 mbps PHY link from a single antenna with 802.11ac?

I'm trying to solve this mystery, maybe someone here can help.

I have an Intel 7260 card which has a 2x2 radio. I've only been getting 433 mpbs PHY link rate, which is the max for a single antenna on 802.11ac with an 80 MHz channel.

So one of my antennas is not getting good reception. Or maybe it's the extension cable. I'm trying to figure it out. So in troubleshooting, I disconnected it completely, including the pigtail cable that connects the SMA connector to the wireless card header. And then lo and behold, I'm getting 520 mbps with the remaining antenna.

That should be impossible. 520 mbps PHY link is a dual antenna configuration only in 802.11ac 80 MHz. And no, I am not using a 160 MHz channel.

This means that somehow both antennas scaled down to 64-QAM 2/3 and I'm getting 260 mbps from each. But there is no way the completely disconnected antenna is getting 260 mbps. Especially when it couldn't get that when it was fully connected.

So by disconnecting one of my antennas, I am getting a higher PHY link, and furthermore it's one that's impossible to get on a single antenna.

So I'm very confused. Hopefully that wasn't too complicated an explanation. Thoughts are welcome. Thank you for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment