Thursday, December 17, 2020

Fiber to outbuilding - Can I combine two cables?

Newbie here. Building a new house. I have a shop about 300 ft away from the house, out of line of sight. I was going to buy a preterminated single mode fiber cable to run to the shop. My initial plan was to bring it inside the house via conduit, then convert to copper to take it the rest of the way (130ft) to the central wiring location.

However, I now realize I don't have anywhere inside to convert (nowhere inside at the demarc location to bring wire in, it will go immediately up the wall to the attic). So I am wondering is there a way to use a LC/LC coupler to connect two cables together so I can make a run from the shop to the house, then in the attic connect it to another to run it to the central wiring closet and there convert to copper at the modem? Splicing two together sounds way outside of my skill level, and I don't know how practical one long run (130 ft in the house and then 330 ft underground in conduit?).

Thanks for any help!



No comments:

Post a Comment