Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Cisco to Huawei EVPN-VPWS

Has anyone ever had any success trying to get evpn-vpws up and passing traffic between XR and Huawei (specifically VRP software, I've tried a few versions so far incase it was a version issue)?

I'm not too sure how much detail I should share since the configuration is fairly straight forward as long as the underlying MPLS is working as expected no matter the protocol(s) used for the LSPs. In my case I have tried both LDP and Segment Routing (which I have managed to get working between the specific vendor implementation, cisco to cisco and huawei to huawei -> These both work, control plane and data plane).

Huawei support is a bit useless (sorry Huawei) and I'm not too sure if Cisco TAC would take a look at an issue like this (which I don't blame them, correct me if I'm wrong). I am receiving everything I expect within the control plane of BGP (evpn auto discovery route, labels received, RD/RT, traffic is even passing on the cisco side under the xconnect details)

Topology is pretty much 4 routers:

EVPN-R1 -------- P router --------- P router -------- EVPN-R2where P routers only care about the transport label

Huawei config:

``` evpn vpn-instance 100 vpws route-distinguisher 192.0.2.1:100 vpn-target 65530:100 export-extcommunity vpn-target 65530:100 import-extcommunity

evpl instance 1 mpls-mode evpn binding vpn-instance 100 local-service-id 10 remote-service-id 12

interface GigabitEthernet0/2/1.567 encapsulation dot1q vid 567 evpl instance 1 ```

Haven't provided XR config since it's quite straight forward, xconnect group with evi instance along with the subinterface assigned to the group. I'm just focusing on single-homed atm so I'm not configuring any ESI or doing any fancy stuff with bundles/lags.

I notice one difference when I do a Huawei to Huawei EVPN-VPWS config, an extra Extended Community is sent in the BGP update containing EVPN L2 Attributes:

Ext-Community: RT <65530 : 100>, EVPN L2 Attributes <MTU:1500 C:0 P:1 B:0>

I gave up early hours of the morning and wanted to see if a simple EVPN with bridge-domain would work and behold, I was receiving MAC routes via BGP and everything was working perfectly fine so it makes me think either some configuration missing on the Cisco/Huawei side, or Huawei just derps with interoperability for EVPN-VPWS.

I'm back at it again now and would like to some day rest at ease so I reach out to the wonderful reddit community ;) I don't mind providing more output for troubleshooting purpose but I think this post is more towards "have you seen this/done this and does EVPN-VPWS work between Cisco and Huawei".



No comments:

Post a Comment