Wednesday, December 30, 2020

C9500 : Transmit Discards

I've got a C9500-48Y-4C unit which isn't pushing much traffic currently. We are actually only using 3 interfaces setup as 10Gb with each interface pushing around 2gb to 3gb.

I've been keeping an eye on our Solarwinds stats for the C9500 simply because it's our first of these units in our network.

I've noticed we are seeing some transmit discards on two of the three interfaces. Not huge amounts but enough to make me concerned. At times it has spiked to a few thousand discards in a 60 minute window.

My initial thinking was potentially the optics/modules may need replacing but I've been digging around and now I think 'maybe' the below two built in policy-maps may be responsible:

system-cpp-police-sys-data
system-cpp-police-data

If I look at these then I can see quite a few exceeded bytes and as such the exceeded bytes have been dropped.

My first question is will these show up on Solarwinds as transmit discards?

My second query is I know the built in policies are to protect the switch itself but I'm struggling to find out what has been exceeding these built in policies.

The switch is locked down and there is no access to the switch other than the 3 devices which are connected (OSPF neighbors).

OSPF has stayed up for as long as the switch has been powered on and I don't see anything in the logs showing anything which could have triggered the exceeded bytes.

It's possible I guess that the policy-map has matches from when it was first setup and the matches are historic in which case I still have an issue with transmit discards.

For now I've taken a note as to how many packets are exceeded and I can see if it increments.

I can try swapping the optics but I kind of think I'd be seeing a LOT more discards if it was an issue on the optics and probably more likely errors and not discards?

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment