Monday, December 28, 2020

Any instances of network devices processing packets not meant for them in the real world?

I’m studying for my CCNA and the instructor is going over the OSI model. He’s discussing things I already about encapsulation at each layer and how a packet is packed and unpacked on the sender and receiver. He mentioned how when a receiver unpacks a packet and looks at the MAC address or the IP address if that packet is not meant for it then it will discard the packet. This is how it “should” work. I’m curious of any know where what “should” happens doesn’t. I know with a switch for example a packet should not routed to the wrong interface because it knows the MAC address. But do they ever go rouge and act like a hub? Do normal devices ever process packets not meant for them or can they be forced to? Just seemed like an interesting attack opportunity potentially. He really emphasized the “should” part which just got me to thinking “and what if it doesn’t”. Thoughts?

TLDR; what if network devices look at whatever traffic they receive right or wrong? Or send traffic however they want?



No comments:

Post a Comment