Saturday, November 28, 2020

What do you use for spotting all the devices on your network?

I need to scan a pretty big network (several /16s overall, but fairly sparsely populated) to see what's attached to it. There are a lot of VLANs in use, generally using one /24 subnet per VLAN.

Not everything is on a domain. Not everything is in DNS. Not everything is even routable to a single point - some of the VLANs only have one routable machine and a heap of others using local IPs. I can't take the alternative approach of using something like 802.1x and making everything register because this is an existing network that can't be drastically changed.

I know about nmap but for a range as big as this it seems pretty slow. In any case it feels like it needs to be done on the switches somehow to see into all the VLANs, but I don't think I've seen any tools for doing that?

What do people use at this scale?



No comments:

Post a Comment