Wednesday, November 11, 2020

What do you use automation/python for and what do you use CLI for?

Hi, around March this year I spent about 4/5 months teaching myself python and all the libraries that goes with it for network automation (requests, netmiko, nornir, napalm etc...) and have since incorporated it into our devices we have across our sites. I mainly use it for collecting information using the equivalent of the "show" commands on the CLI either through netmiko/json or a rest api and json output. I have also written a couple of neat little applications that interact with our devices but I find myself for the most part using the CLI to build an actual new switch/router/firewall from the ground up if we get new equipment in (or a GUI if its something like Firepower). Or if I'm doing a sensitive job like changing the allowed vlans list on a trunk link that could go down and cause massive failures for the company if that portchannel is misconfigured. I almost always use the CLI on the devices for this and not an API call and piece of code. Mainly for peace of mind and safety reasons and because its usually quicker and you have all your show commands and log messages on screen straight away if needed. I do use automation more and more for things now, but for bigger builds or bigger config changes I will almost always use the CLI.

Is anyone else in the same boat or are some completely different?

Thanks 😊



No comments:

Post a Comment