Saturday, November 28, 2020

VLANs & Networking general questions on FortiGate & Draytek

Come from IT background but need a refresher on VLANs / Networking so I am looking to learn more about VLANs for small businesses (under 50 users) and how they work with Firewalls, Switches & AP's. I will be buying some old hardware to setup a test lab but have some queries before I buy the wrong hardware.

1) Should I be getting a Managed or UnManaged switch for VLANs? The difference between them (from my understanding) is I can assign different ports to different VLANs but that's the main difference in terms of VLANs? Or is there something else?

2) If I have a FortiGate or Draytek Firewall I believe any Managed Switch work with it? But is there a make/model which is the best go to one?

3) Is it common to deploy different brand managed switches than the actual firewall and if so whats the benefit? I have been to a few client sites and noted they have Drayteks with Unifi Switches and also FortiGates with Unifi switches at other sites, is this because its easier to manage?

4) Any recommendations for books or online courses on general networking ?

5) Is there much difference between a Draytek 2832 & 2862? The 2832 are a better price for a test lab but is the functionality similar to the 2862's as these are what a lot of sports seem to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment