Thursday, November 19, 2020

Tips to safely powercycle medium aggregate devices?

Bit of backstory and node description: I have an aggregate fiber switch with multiple 1gige and 10gige p2ps coming off of it in a hub and spoke configuration. This device is currently refusing management connections, though it is still switching and I can manage devices down stream of it. I had a field engineer go out and attempt to connect with different rollover console cables and even tried different laptops to be thorough, but the device is also not responding on its console port. My next steps are to reboot this thing as I'm currently unable to log into it for troubleshooting config and stats level.

I have had some extremely bad experiences when rebooting these devices, and am seeking tips on ways to softly turn an unmanageable, core machine off that has no power switch/button. This particular type and brand of machine has a bad habit of going down and never coming up when the power plugs are yanked. I will have a blank machine on standby to drop-in-place if this happens but these machines are $$$$$ and frankly a PITA to flash on the fly.

Does anyone have any tips on making this process safer for the machine?



No comments:

Post a Comment