Tuesday, November 10, 2020

SPAN / Trunk Port Simultaneously?

Currently trying to find a way to SPAN traffic into a VMWare environment. My physical host only has one NIC, which is currently attached to my switch and acting as a trunk.

So the question is, can that switchport act as both a trunk port and continue passing traffic from my VM's, as well as a SPAN monitor port for sending SPAN traffic into the server port from the switch?

Everything I've found says no, this is not possible, save for a few obscure arguments in some Cisco forums. I'm like....99% sure you either get regular switchport or SPAN monitor port, but not both. Once you set it as the SPAN monitor port, that's all it's going to be. It will no longer serve as a trunk port and pass traffic, it will only pass along the SPAN traffic.



No comments:

Post a Comment