Saturday, November 7, 2020

Route table change tracking and diff'ing

Ive run into a situation where I need to track route table changes on a few cisco devices over time. Im curious how others have approached this.

I have a running Rancid implementation which I think would be great if I could get it to additionally collect a 'show ip route' for specific devices and keep revisions for diffs like it currently does for configs.

It seems some others have been down this road before

Someone even wrote a patch for an older version of rancid to do this. Unfortunately Im using rancid 3.11 and struggling to sort out how to get similar functionality with my version.

It seems I could define a new device type in rancid.types.conf but thats not panning out for me either. Which in all honestly could be due to my ineptitude.

I did search around here too. Some others here have asked similar questions. Answers were provided to some degree but they all essentially come to " just run a script to get the tables and then diff em".

eg:

- Routing table change - monitoring.

- route table compare

For those unfamiliar, this is precisely what Rancid does (collect configs, save revisions for diffing) in an already well developed package.

Im not particularly married to the idea of using rancid, I just keep mentioning it because it does seem like it would be viable for this use case.

Perhaps there are better tools for the job Im missing or someone whos more familiar with Rancid who could point me in the right direction?

I know with perl, expect, python... I thought it made sense to ask the experts here before I just end up crafting a NetMiko python script and cron'ing it out to run periodically.

Thanks in advance for an awesome sub with great contributors.

Always enjoy reading what others are up to and solutions they come up with.



No comments:

Post a Comment